August 5, 4-10P @ Various Locations, Pittsfield, MA
A single day, multiple round poetry slam. The preliminary round of bouts, held simultaneously at multiple venues, is open to poets 17 and older on a first-come basis. Top finishers in the preliminary round will move on to the semi finals. Top four finishers in the semis will advance to the finals where the WXW 2017 Poetry Slam Champion will be crowned. Free and open to the public
Details for Poets
- Poets must preregister to guarantee a spot.
- A maximum of 24 poets may enter the slam and compete in the first round/preliminary bouts.
- The preliminary bouts are single rounds. Poets will need 1 slam-worthy poem for this round.
- Top finishers in the preliminary round will move on to the semi finals. A maximum of 9 poets will move on to the semi finals.
- The semifinals are two rounds. Poets will need 2 slam-worthy poems and may not repeat a poem from prelims.
- Top four finishers in the semis will advance to the finals.
- The finals will be a two round bout. Repeats from the prelims and semis are allowed, however we would welcome new work in this round as well!
- Assignment to preliminary bouts as well as the order within rounds will be by random draw.
- Typical slam rules will apply - Scoring will be by 5 judges, scale of 0-10, drop the high and low score. Poems must be the original creation of the poet. No props or musical accompaniment. 3 minute per piece time limit, with 10 second grace period after which a penalty applies.
- There will be cash prizes for the finalists, and support and love for everyone else.
- The bout master will be the arbiter of all disputes.
Schedule for WXW Poetry Slam
Registration Deadline to Enter Slam: when the spots are gone, they’re gone
July 29 - Preliminary Bout Assignments Announced
August 5 / WXW Poetry Slam
- 3:30P Poets Check In At Assigned Prelim Location
- 4-5P Preliminary Bouts (multiple locations)
- 6-7P Semi Final Bout
- 7-8P Dinner Break
- 8:30P Finals
Register online to guarantee a spot in the WXW 2017 Individual Poetry Slam
- Subject To Change -